List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: KDE_2_0_BRANCH: kdelibs/khtml/rendering
From:       "Thomas Diehl" <thd () kde ! org>
Date:       2000-10-21 20:59:14

On Sat, 21 Oct 2000 22:26:03 +0200, Francois-Xavier Duranceau wrote:

>Andreas Pour wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> If I can weigh in on the release discussion.  I think it would be better
>> not to delay branch forking/releasing b/c of translation issues.  I
>> would prefer a model similar to what is going on with the KDE 2.0
>> branching -- the basic system (English only) is stablized and released.
>> OK, not everyone in the world can use this release, but many people can
>> -- most importantly, people who are most likely to develop for it and/or
>> to make useful bug reports -- developer types -- are quite likely to
>> speak English.  Then the translators have several weeks to translate it,
>> at which time serious bug fixes are made to it.  After this period it
>> becomes the "full" release.
>>
>Hmmm I doubt this is a good approach. If we start translating too late
>we (the translaters) will find out the i18n related bugs too late. We
>fixed numerous bugs during the last months while translating and testing
>the translations. If you never did any translation you can't have a good
>view of how the translation process should go. But your proposal may be
>fine for the smaller teams which are not able to translate evrything
>before the release.

OTOH: Starting too early with translations will result in an incredible
waste of resources -- translating strings over and over that become
obsolete in the developing and debugging process. I guess we all made
this experience this time and could do without another experience of
the same sort.

It's a matter of course, however, that we need enough time for
translation and that there must be a chance to fix the bugs that are
discovered during the translation process (while keeping the number
of new strings introduced by other development moves at the absolute
minimum).

>I strongly warn against any decision made without the agreement of the
>i18n teams. Please discuss this in kde-i18n-doc too.

Definitely.

Regards,

Thomas

---