List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: KDE_2_0_BRANCH: kdelibs/khtml/rendering
From:       Francois-Xavier Duranceau <duranceau () free ! fr>
Date:       2000-10-21 21:34:25

Harri Porten wrote:

> Lotzi Boloni wrote:
> >
> > > If I can weigh in on the release discussion.  I think it would be better
> > > not to delay branch forking/releasing b/c of translation issues.  I
> > > would prefer a model similar to what is going on with the KDE 2.0
> > > branching -- the basic system (English only) is stablized and released.
> > > OK, not everyone in the world can use this release, but many people can
> > > -- most importantly, people who are most likely to develop for it and/or
> > > to make useful bug reports -- developer types -- are quite likely to
> > > speak English.  Then the translators have several weeks to translate it,
> > > at which time serious bug fixes are made to it.  After this period it
> > > becomes the "full" release.
>
> I sympathize with this approach.
>
> >   I think this is a very good proposal. In fact it can always happen that
> > some of the distribution packages will be ready several days later, so
> > this would make the swahili version let's say ten days late.
> >
> >   What we had in the last month, that some bugs could not be fixed
> > correctly because of the message freeze is very counterproductive.
>
> Exactly ! It would be better to have all parties involved working with
> optimal conditions. We had a global synchronization point that made us
> wait for each other (the "slowest" one).

I guess you mean the "message freeze". I'm not so sure this was a
blocking step. First we did not have such a real freeze before 2.0 as we
had for 1.1.x releases IIRC. And it gave time to the developpers for
fixing their stuff. So IMO this wasn't a waste of time.

> > And as
> > the distributions anyhow have roughly half-yearly releases, it is unlikely
> > that this will interfere with their problems.
>
> To Francois-Xavier: Of course we would have to agree on a new system
> *together*. Regarding the i18n related bugs: They cause no problem since
> they still can be fixed and be released with the final and full version.

If the developpers agree for maintaining their stuff between the
semi-release and the full release it's ok.

FX
--
Francois-Xavier DURANCEAU
mailto:duranceau@free.fr, mailto:duranceau@kde.org