List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: koffice translations!!!
From:       Stephan Kulow <coolo () kde ! org>
Date:       2000-09-27 15:12:20

Logi Ragnarsson wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 27, 2000 at 01:53:02PM +0200, Stephan Kulow wrote:
> > Logi Ragnarsson wrote:
>
> > > If this candidate gets released, then I'm not running KDE 2. Sorry, it
> > > sucks. It is going to be great once the stability problems are solved and
> > > once the translations are allowed to settle a bit, but that's not going to
> > > happen very soon.
>
> > I don't know of any stability problems. In fact most crashes that are
> > reported
> > these days are because of broken binary installations - old libpngs,
> > wrong OpenGL
> > drivers, etc.
>
> Perhaps it is just the debian packages that don't have the correct
> dependencies listed. I certainly hope so. Depending on the day of the week,
The debian packages have other reported problems as well, that do not
happen
elsewhere. I would like you to compile on your own to really judge the
quality.
I'm currently into making it stable on Solaris, next thing will be to
boot up
Debian I guess :)

> a different set of KDE programs refuse to launch and closing a konsole
> window is *very* risky and likely to bring X down.
>
> If the released product is anything like what I see on my machine, then it
> won't be worth running. I really hope you are right that it is an
> installation issue in which case the package mantainers can take car of it.
>
> > There number of features that have been added can be counted on one hand
> > and all
> > of them were about fixing _greatly_ missing functionality.
>
> Well, one of the new features is the SSL support for konqueror. Yes, this is
> very important to have, but being a security programmer I wouldn't recommend
> adding this stuff just before release. There will be security problems
> (there *are* security problems, but they have been acknowleged as bugs and
> will supposedly be fixed) and bad encryption is really worse than no
> encryption.

Well, we didn't implement this on our own. There is the openSSL library
and
it works. If there is a problem with it, you can just drop in another
version :)

Greetings, Stephan

--
As long as Linux remains a religion of freeware fanatics,
Microsoft have nothing to worry about.