Logi Ragnarsson wrote: > > On Wed, Sep 27, 2000 at 01:53:02PM +0200, Stephan Kulow wrote: > > Logi Ragnarsson wrote: > > > > If this candidate gets released, then I'm not running KDE 2. Sorry, it > > > sucks. It is going to be great once the stability problems are solved and > > > once the translations are allowed to settle a bit, but that's not going to > > > happen very soon. > > > I don't know of any stability problems. In fact most crashes that are > > reported > > these days are because of broken binary installations - old libpngs, > > wrong OpenGL > > drivers, etc. > > Perhaps it is just the debian packages that don't have the correct > dependencies listed. I certainly hope so. Depending on the day of the week, The debian packages have other reported problems as well, that do not happen elsewhere. I would like you to compile on your own to really judge the quality. I'm currently into making it stable on Solaris, next thing will be to boot up Debian I guess :) > a different set of KDE programs refuse to launch and closing a konsole > window is *very* risky and likely to bring X down. > > If the released product is anything like what I see on my machine, then it > won't be worth running. I really hope you are right that it is an > installation issue in which case the package mantainers can take car of it. > > > There number of features that have been added can be counted on one hand > > and all > > of them were about fixing _greatly_ missing functionality. > > Well, one of the new features is the SSL support for konqueror. Yes, this is > very important to have, but being a security programmer I wouldn't recommend > adding this stuff just before release. There will be security problems > (there *are* security problems, but they have been acknowleged as bugs and > will supposedly be fixed) and bad encryption is really worse than no > encryption. > Well, we didn't implement this on our own. There is the openSSL library and it works. If there is a problem with it, you can just drop in another version :) Greetings, Stephan -- As long as Linux remains a religion of freeware fanatics, Microsoft have nothing to worry about. By Michael Surkan, PC Week Online