List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: koffice translations!!!
From:       Logi Ragnarsson <logir () logi ! org>
Date:       2000-09-27 14:48:59

On Wed, Sep 27, 2000 at 01:53:02PM +0200, Stephan Kulow wrote:
> Logi Ragnarsson wrote:

> > If this candidate gets released, then I'm not running KDE 2. Sorry, it
> > sucks. It is going to be great once the stability problems are solved and
> > once the translations are allowed to settle a bit, but that's not going to
> > happen very soon.

> I don't know of any stability problems. In fact most crashes that are
> reported
> these days are because of broken binary installations - old libpngs,
> wrong OpenGL
> drivers, etc.

Perhaps it is just the debian packages that don't have the correct
dependencies listed. I certainly hope so. Depending on the day of the week,
a different set of KDE programs refuse to launch and closing a konsole
window is *very* risky and likely to bring X down.

If the released product is anything like what I see on my machine, then it
won't be worth running. I really hope you are right that it is an
installation issue in which case the package mantainers can take car of it.

> There number of features that have been added can be counted on one hand
> and all
> of them were about fixing _greatly_ missing functionality.

Well, one of the new features is the SSL support for konqueror. Yes, this is
very important to have, but being a security programmer I wouldn't recommend
adding this stuff just before release. There will be security problems
(there *are* security problems, but they have been acknowleged as bugs and
will supposedly be fixed) and bad encryption is really worse than no
encryption.

Anyway, here is to hope! In general the system is looking marvelous and if it
is stable I will love running it.

Logi