List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: errors, errors, errors
From:       Stephan Kulow <coolo () kde ! org>
Date:       2000-07-17 9:51:41

Federico Cozzi wrote:

> On Mon, 17 Jul 2000, Thomas Diehl wrote:
>
> > May I remind everybody that KBabel has an automatic syntax check (which
> > avoids almost all of the usual errors from the outset) and also has the
> > capability to copy the original message into the "msgstr" area on
> > pressing ctrl+spacebar?
> >
> > The latter is especially helpful if you want to avoid the many errors
> > of the type "Name=xyz doesn't fit tag" when translating desktop.po.
> > Just press ctrl+spacebar in KBabel to copy the original string into
> > your translation; then overwrite the part past the "=" with your own
> > stuff. Result: no more tagging errors.
>
> This is not completely true. Italian team uses only KBabel, but errors
> appear anyway. I suspect some errors are added by the automatic scripts:
> have a look at this:
>

> ERROR: da's translation of "Name=Encapsulated Postscript Images" doesn't
> fit tag
Here is the diff between 1.274 and 1.275 for the dansk:
 #: kdelibs/kimgio/eps.kimgio:1
-#, fuzzy
 msgid "Name=Encapsulated Postscript Images"
-msgstr "Comment=Encapsulated Postscript billede"
+msgstr "Comment=Encapsulated Postscript billeder"

As you see, erik removed the fuzzy

> ERROR: fi's translation of "Name=Encapsulated Postscript Images" doesn't
> fit tag
Here the same for finish:
 #: kdelibs/kimgio/eps.kimgio:1
-#, fuzzy
 msgid "Name=Encapsulated Postscript Images"
-msgstr "Comment=Encapsulated Postscript -kuva"
+msgstr "Comment=Encapsulated Postscript -kuvat"

I could continue, but it wastes my time...

> ERROR: he's translation of "Name=Encapsulated Postscript Images" doesn't
> fit tag
> ERROR: hu's translation of "Name=Encapsulated Postscript Images" doesn't
> fit tag
> ERROR: it's translation of "Name=Encapsulated Postscript Images" doesn't
> fit tag
> ERROR: no's translation of "Name=Encapsulated Postscript Images" doesn't
> fit tag
> ERROR: no_NY's translation of "Name=Encapsulated Postscript Images"
> doesn't fit tag
> ERROR: pt_BR's translation of "Name=Encapsulated Postscript Images"
> doesn't fit tag
>
> 8 teams did the same error?!? Quite strange, I think...
Yes, but it's the same every time, msgmerge adds a fuzzy and translators
don't look at the translation before removing the fuzzy

Greetings, Stephan

--
... but you ain't had mine