List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: Troubles with docs
From:       Michael McBride <mmcbride () ematic ! com>
Date:       2000-05-20 19:46:56

On Sat, 20 May 2000, Frederik Fouvry wrote:
> ,-- On Sat, 20 May, Laurent LARZILLERE wrote:
> | Hi,
> |
> | About kcontrol
> | ----------
> | I found a problem with the kcontrol handbook. There are bad URL into the
> | main file "kcontrol/index.docbook".  For example,
> | <ulink url="kcminfo/index-1.html">Memory Usage Information</ulink>
> | <ulink url="kcminfo/index-2.html">Processor Information</ulink>
> | The URL are not valid due to the docbook transformation. How could we fix
> | this problem ?
>
> This specific case is due to bad markup in the LinuxDoc SGML file
> before conversion (just goes to show how important good markup is ;-).
> In DocBook, <link> (and <anchor>) should be used instead (referring to
> the IDs of the sections/chapters/...).  If that is done, jade will
> generate correct HTML links (with the titles).  If the documentation
> seems fairly up-to-date, then I'd suggest to have the DocBook file
> cleaned up (contact Michael McBride <mmcbride@ematic.com>).

Its not up to date, and needs some work.  The kcontrol documentation will be
rewritten after the kcontrol modules have stabalized a little more.  There
are 3 people working to bring kcontrol documentation to reality, and they are
telling me that some modules are still changing too much to spend any time
writting (then translating) documentation that is likely to change
signifigantly in the next few weeks.  They are documenting the individual
modules which the developers say have reached a stable state.

Unfortunately, kcontrol/index.docbook, is essentially a quick introduction,
and a list of the modules with links to the documentation for each module.
So this document is still changing to rapidly to expend effort on now.

If you want to get a sense of where the kcontrol documentation is, you can
view a regularly updated file on the CVS at:  /kdebase/kcontrol/DOCS-STATUS.

If any developers are reading this, please notice that the "READY" column is
completely empty, and if you believe a kcontrol module is complete (at least
from a UI standpoint), please mark that as "READY", so that the documenters
can put their full support behind it.

Sorry I don't have better news, but we will keep you apraised of the status
of all kcontrol modules (by regular posts of completed information, the
DOCS-STATUS file on the CVS, and a soon to be released web page which
summarises all documentation progress).

--
Mike McBride
mmcbride@ematic.com