List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: How to test desktop.mo file?
From:       Hans Petter Bieker <bieker () stud ! ntnu ! no>
Date:       2000-03-25 12:45:20

Down? It's never down. I just wrote the wrong url: :-)
http://www.stud.ntnu.no/~bieker/tscii/

> BTW, The table you found on the net for TSCII/UNICODE is not upto date.
> The current version of TSCII (http://www.tamil.net/tscii/) has different
> codes for the characters TAMIL MEI LETTERS NYU, N^U, NYUU, N^UU are in the
> range 0x99--0x9c in the latest TSCII standard.

Are you talking about 4 characters? I can fix that if you give me the
unicode mapings.

> > arial.ttf from the multi-lingual package for MS Office (or something like
> > that). It it suppposed to support tamil.
> You mean a unicode font?

Sure. You mean there are other standards? ;-)

> There are several TSCII tamil fonts (as bdf/ttf files) at
> http:www.tamil.net/tscii/tools.html

It's not that important to me. I just wanted to see if it worked.

> Where can I get some documentation about QT codecs and stuff? I don't
> really understand what is going on. Is the QT tutorial helpful?

No. You might want to read the Troll Tech's qtextcodec.html, unicode.html
and http://www.unicode.org/unicode/standard/principles.html. I'm not
sure what you want to know.

The Unicode Standard is the universal character encoding standard used for
representation of text for computer processing. Codecs are used to
convert text between legacy encodings and Unicode. Internally all charters
are stored in unicode. If you want to display the text using non unicode
fonts, the text is converted using the codec to that encoding etc.

-bieker-

Norwegian University of Science and Technology, Engineering Cybernetics
                 bieker@stud.ntnu.no / bieker@kde.org