List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: How to test desktop.mo file?
From:       Thuraiappah Vaseeharan <vasee () ee ! umanitoba ! ca>
Date:       2000-03-24 22:22:32

> On Wed, 22 Mar 2000, Thuraiappah Vaseeharan wrote:
>
> > Thanks.
>
> Done. Take a look at the http://www.stud.ntno.no/~bieker/tscii/

Great. But you web server seems to be down now. (ping works) I'll check a
little while later.

BTW, The table you found on the net for TSCII/UNICODE is not upto date.
The current version of TSCII (http://www.tamil.net/tscii/) has different
codes for the characters TAMIL MEI LETTERS NYU, N^U, NYUU, N^UU are in the
range 0x99--0x9c in the latest TSCII standard.

> You'll need a font which support tamil. I found code2000 -- it's a bit
> ugly and it's not free (shareware), but it works. You might want to try
> arial.ttf from the multi-lingual package for MS Office (or something like
> that). It it suppposed to support tamil.

You mean a unicode font?

There are several TSCII tamil fonts (as bdf/ttf files) at
http:www.tamil.net/tscii/tools.html

> > I am just thinking aloud here. Correct me if I am wrong. TSCII
> > just uses the upper ASCII characters for representing Tamil glyphs. (It is
> > not a multi-byte encoding or anything). As the .po files need to be in
> > UTF-8 format in future, we can convert them using
>
> I forgot to tell you this. You will also need the TSCII codec if you want
> support for TSCII fonts. NOTE: I have not added font handling yet. I will
> do that in the future. The same with the Mime number. I don't know which
> to use.

Where can I get some documentation about QT codecs and stuff? I don't
really understand what is going on. Is the QT tutorial helpful?

Vasee