List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: Tamil translation of kdelibs.po
From:       Thuraiappah Vaseeharan <vasee () ee ! umanitoba ! ca>
Date:       2000-03-19 18:22:51

On Sun, 19 Mar 2000, Hans Petter Bieker wrote:

> On Sat, 18 Mar 2000, Thuraiappah Vaseeharan wrote:
>
> > What Stephan says is correct. I think the problem is that the mapping
> > between the Unicode Tamil encoding and TSCII is not one-to-one. Apparently
> > the state govt. of Tamil Nadu (in India), has joined the Unicode
> > consortium to get the encoding changed in future versions. Until this
>
> One to one? According to the TSCII to Unicode mapping table the only
> undefined Tamil glyph in Unicode is "TAMIL GRANTHA SRI". What's the
> problem with composed glyphs?

I stand corrected.

> > About Recode, KBabel and so on: I'm sure TSCII can be made to work with
> > these tools. TSCII just maps the tamil glyphs to the high ASCII range
> > (128-256). So any tools/programs that are 8-bit clean should work with
>
> If you want recode to work with TSCII you would have to add
> support for it. KBabel doesn't need special hacks for different
> encoding,

>but if you want TSCII support in KDE (or Qt in
> general) you would have to write a QTSCIICodec class. (I can help you if
> you don't know how. Just write a mail.)

I'd appreciate any help. Please do let me know.

Another question regarding kikbd: (is it unrelated here ?)

I made a tamil keymap for kikbd. It works fine but it is not very user
friendly. I want a keymap that maps a combination of english characters
(i.e. transliterate) to a single tamil character. (e.g the keystokes <k,i>
maps to TAMIL_KI)

Is it possible to do this without modifying kikbd?

Vasee