List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: Tamil translation of kdelibs.po
From:       Hans Petter Bieker <bieker () stud ! ntnu ! no>
Date:       2000-03-19 14:49:45

On Sat, 18 Mar 2000, Thuraiappah Vaseeharan wrote:

> What Stephan says is correct. I think the problem is that the mapping
> between the Unicode Tamil encoding and TSCII is not one-to-one. Apparently
> the state govt. of Tamil Nadu (in India), has joined the Unicode
> consortium to get the encoding changed in future versions. Until this

One to one? According to the TSCII to Unicode mapping table the only
undefined Tamil glyph in Unicode is "TAMIL GRANTHA SRI". What's the
problem with composed glyphs?

> About Recode, KBabel and so on: I'm sure TSCII can be made to work with
> these tools. TSCII just maps the tamil glyphs to the high ASCII range
> (128-256). So any tools/programs that are 8-bit clean should work with

If you want recode to work with TSCII you would have to add
support for it. KBabel doesn't need special hacks for different
encoding, but if you want TSCII support in KDE (or Qt in
general) you would have to write a QTSCIICodec class. (I can help you if
you don't know how. Just write a mail.)

Talking about different encodings: What happend to the GB2312
encoding? Will be be supported in Qt 2.2? If not, Chinese users will have
to patch Qt.

-bieker-

Norwegian University of Science and Technology, Engineering Cybernetics
                 bieker@stud.ntnu.no / bieker@kde.org