List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: i18n problems
From:       Tobias Burnus <burnus () gmx ! de>
Date:       2000-03-11 17:17:43

Hi Francois,

> When a pot file is generated, every string is added only once. So you
> don't have to translate several times the same string. This is generally
> a good thing but not always. I encounter situations where I can't
> differentiate the usages of the same string. And obviously I want to
> have different translations depending on the place where it's used but
> it's impossible. What should I do ?

This is a source code problem, but still it is difficult to solve.
If the string in question is composed of several small snippets
it should be possible to substitute this by a concatinated string,
which whould be different at different places, else I fear it will
be quite difficult since gettext uses the original string to
look up the translation.
(One could use several .pot files, but this would make the loading
of the translations a mess. Maybe *.qm would be a solution, since
the qt pot files contain the class-name, but I don't think this
would be the best way to do it.)

Tobias