List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Seperate language packages
From:       Manuel Gaul <flying_horse () gmx ! net>
Date:       1999-12-19 10:17:04

On Mon, 13 Dec 1999, Marko Samastur wrote:
> [..]
> As I've mentioned before, documentation should come with KDE packages. I
> wouldn't pack it as a separate package (at least not HTML version
> available in programs), because this way it might get sacrificed by
> distribution vendors. Considering all possible translations, this would
> probably bloat the size of packages considerably, but I still think it
> should be done. Other formats (postscript...) could be packaged
> separately.
> [..]

In my opinion the original docs (English) should be in the corresponding
package, but ALL the translations should come in ONE package for each language.
And maybe they should include the GUI translations too so that a Spanish user
for example just had to install the packages let's say kdenetwork and then
"kde-es" (apart from the basesystem), and voila ... he can write e-mails in a
program that "speaks" Spanish (assuming that KMail is translated :). This user
doesn't care whether there's the Dutch, German or whatever translation on his
HD as long as his HD space doesn't get low. And this definetely would happen if
we wanted to include all translated docs into the packages.
This idea wouldn't only make things better for the user but would also make it
easier for the packagers (at least I think so). Apart from the "giants" like
RedHat, Suse and Caldera there're are smaller ones that do only distribute in
their countries. They do only need the package(s) with the language(s) spoken
in this country and no others.

These are just some thoughts and I'm not sure whether they're as easily
achievable as I imagined them to be. Maybe the number of packages would even
outweight the advantages.

Greetings,
Manuel