List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: Useful stuff for documenters / translators
From:       "dim" <dim () pharm ! sunysb ! edu>
Date:       1999-06-28 21:20:03

> >> On a similar note: We also have some brainstorming running on Dmitry's
> >> suggestion to adapt the KDE bug tracking system for errors in the
> >> documentation. But it's not yet clear what may come of this (or not).
> >
> >(... According to me, a mail to the doc's author is enough.)
>
> An additional public error list would save a lot of duplicate mails.
> Besides: If people would really continue to translate errors (like you
> suggested) such a list would be even the only source for correct
> information until authors update their stuff. And, of course, it would
> increase pressure on authors to update more frequently.
>
> >Since all teams have the same needs, maybe we should provide a framework for
> >all of that on KDE's Web server itself, in www/documentation directory.
>
> Right. That was the plan. -- I also planned to put up another "work in
> progress" page where teams can post what they would like to contribute
> to such a i18n framework. Where they could form work groups if there's
> a need. And where some information could be found on who's doing what
> to avoid duplicate work.

I agree with Thomas. A letter to the author about errors in a document
may not work in all cases. What if the
author is in love, sick, has a new baby, changed e-mail, or not interested
in maintaining the documentation anymore?

If we are going to spit chores between coordinators, I would take
maintainance of "Errors in documentation" database, because "a man should be
punished for his ideas" :)

Please take in account though, that I am pretty pathetic programmer, I am a
molecular biologist, not a computer scientist (or brick layer:). I can
maintain such a database, but I am not skillful enough to write a decent
database scripts for it.

Dima