List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    comments
From:       Stephan Kulow <coolo () alpha ! tat ! physik ! uni-tuebingen ! de>
Date:       1999-06-02 18:37:02

Hi!

Aaron Levinson (I'm sure I got this name wrong, so please
make him not reading this list ;) [author of kmp3] had the
idea to comment his .pot file with usefull comments for the
translator.

He posted the following example to kde-devel:

# Used for the balance slider to move the balance
# all the way to the left (i.e. sound only comes
# out of the left channel/speaker).  The '&' is
# used to indicate that with English, hitting the
# 'L' key causes the same operation, for those people
# that like to use the keyboard.
#: ../src/KMBalanceSlider.cpp:158
msgid "&Left"
msgstr ""

# Used for the balance slider to move the balance
# to the center (i.e. sound only comes equally out
# of both the left and right channels/speakers).
# The '&' is used to indicate that with English,
# hitting the 'C' key causes the same operation,
# for those people that like to use the keyboard.
#: ../src/KMBalanceSlider.cpp:160
msgid "&Center"
msgstr ""

# Used for the balance slider to move the balance
# all the way to the right (i.e. sound only comes
# out of the right channel/speaker).  The '&' is
# used to indicate that with English, hitting the
# 'R' key causes the same operation, for those people
# that like to use the keyboard.
#: ../src/KMBalanceSlider.cpp:162
msgid "&Right"
msgstr ""

# Used as an adjective, ala "Common [properties]"
#: ../src/configDisplay.cpp:22
msgid "Common"
msgstr ""

As you can see, it took him some time ;)

OK, he did the whole adminstration manually and I
had the undoubtful pleasure to write an automatic
framework to do this for CVS.

What I would like you to ask now is to add comments
to .pot files as you may see fit it. If you had doubts
what it is used for, you may do some context research
and spare other translators the trouble. These comments
get into the .pot files and also into each and every
.po file, so the other translators will see them shortly
after.

I'm quite sure that most developers won't have the time
to comment their pot file themselfs, but may be open for
questions ;)

Greetings, Stephan
P.S. It needs some more testing, so please be patient with
my code.

--
Und sie nannten ihn, wie er selbst unterschrieb -
Den Trojanischen Pferdedieb