List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    T13514: Migrate KDE translations to Git
From:       Claudius Ellsel <noreply () phabricator ! kde ! org>
Date:       2020-08-22 16:41:54

[Attachment #2 (text/plain)]

clel added a comment.

  In T13514#237941 <https://phabricator.kde.org/T13514#237941>, @ltoscano wrote:

  > I already wrote it: a central place is needed so that

  Thanks for those points. As I said, if you already wrote that, I'd also been happy \
with just a link to that.
  > - people *NOT* using weblate don't have to checkout tons of repositories to \
contribute. That's enough in itself.
  I guess I wasn't aware of this workflow. So people basically checkout the \
repository currently and then go around different projects offline to then translate? \
I understand that this is more efficient when doing alot of translation work across \
several projects. I have been thinking from my perspective where I'd look for a \
project first and then download maybe the PO file to complete the translation and \
upload it again (without ever checking out any repository) and then uploading it \
through a webinterface or directly using that webinterface to translate a project \
through the browser.
  > - we may use posummit even with weblate to provide a single branch to everyone, \
which means that some logic to inject the translations to each branch will be needed \
somewhere else
  This might become a valid reason, however I think currently this is not really a \
blocker.
  > - it will be the only interface that weblate would have to deal with (because in \
5 years we may change again tool, and we don't lose the history)
  Somewhat valid. But note that also having the projects store the translation files \
there will be an interface. Just spread across a large number of projects. In fact, I \
guess this interface to the projects is also there today, but in a different way, \
since it is needed to sync them with the translations repository.
  > - even in the case were part of the web tool would be the central place, still \
that would be the reference point, not the content of each repository which would be \
a mirror once we solve T12268 <https://phabricator.kde.org/T12268>.
  The task you linked seems to be wrong. That makes it hard for me to understand what \
you are saying here.

TASK DETAIL
  https://phabricator.kde.org/T13514

To: clel
Cc: yurchor, zerg, clel, xyquadrat, woltherav, subins2000, huftis, rempt, \
kamathraghavendra, thiagosueto, #localization, dkazakov, nalvarez, aacid, pino, \
ltoscano, aspotashev, fbampaloukas, sdepiets, skadinna, pshinjo