List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: Removing remaining barriers to getting a web translation tool up and running
From:       Luigi Toscano <luigi.toscano () tiscali ! it>
Date:       2019-07-17 7:46:57

Luigi Toscano ha scritto:
> Scott ha scritto:
>> Hey All,
>>
>> I realize I'm a new face, but I'm a big fan of KDE's experience and in the
>> recent past on Twitter saw an effort to focus on a few core projects to
>> improve the KDE ecosystem, etc. Making it easy to contribute localization was
>> a particularly big pain point highlighted by several people via multiple
>> duplicate items on Phabricator (https://phabricator.kde.org/T11070).
>>
>> The two primary points of concern by folk that I could discern were:
>>
>>   * From the Task: "don't break the existing workflow for teams who want to
>>     translate directly from SVN"
>>       o Weblate has SVN integration so it in theory would function as a second
>>         'channel' by which localization is committed and not interfere with
>>         folk's existing SVN workflows
>
> That's not the only problem. For example, how does the tool handle the pending
> comments/reviews when some files are renamed or moved around? Would it need
> special handling? And so on.
>
> Also it should be possible to enable it by team and the committers can only be
> the people who have write access today to SVN (i.e. people with a KDE
> developer account).
>
> This is the older thread where the discussion has been explored in a proper way:
> https://marc.info/?l=kde-i18n-doc&m=143561152919896&w=2

Also, it should support the summit branches for the teams who use summit,
instead of the normal translation branches.

I personally think that there are few architectural changes that should be
done *before* switching in order to simplify the workflow (like making sure
that the usage of summit is automated for everyone and does not require manual
intervention as it happens today).

--
Luigi