List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: automatic translator for dolphin service menu .desktop files
From:       Alexander Potashev <aspotashev () gmail ! com>
Date:       2015-02-27 15:50:17

> Hello,
> i have been looking before writing one if there was a tool out there that
> would automatically translate user text keys in Dolphin service menus or
> .desktop files in general to other languages using something like google
> translate API or preferably a good offline translation, to  help anyone
> writing a new service menu to offer multiple translations effortlessly
> especially when there are a lot of menu items
>
> i have searched for a while and couldn't find any
> in the case if there was none i would like to write one, can someone direct
> me to where i can find a full list of all the user text keys used by KDE
> inside .desktop files so they would only be translated
> so far what i have gathered by running grep -Er --include "*.desktop"
> "\[[a-zA-Z]+*\]=" on my system are the following keys
>
> name
> GenericName
> Comment
> Description
> DateFormat
> DateFormatShort
> TimeFormat
> X-KDE-Submenu
> X-KDE-Keywords
> Keywords
> X-GNOME-FullName

Hi,

Why would you want to have machine translated messages in the UI? I
think machine translation is always worse than keeping string in
English. A tool like you described has hereby a very limited use case
and no one probably cared to open-source it if they wrote one.

If you are a developer and you want to check if all the messages are
translatable then you can replace messages "message" with
"xxmessagexx" in the translation automatically and see if all messages
in your UI have these "xx" parts. This is already being done for the
"x-test" test language - see the scripts in
http://websvn.kde.org/trunk/l10n-kde4/x-test/internal/

People in kde-i18n-doc will probably help you with the tools to
extract messages from .desktop files to a Gettext translation template
(a .pot file).

--
Alexander Potashev