List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: Qestion regarding the translation of the app into another language...
From:       Martin Schlander <martin.schlander () gmail ! com>
Date:       2014-05-22 17:39:14

Onsdag den 21. maj 2014 23:32:01 skrev Ana Kris:
> I am graduating in a month and currently writing a final thesis.
> So my task was to translate an OpenSource application into Danish (from
> Russian). Please see here what's the application about:
> https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.fruct.yar.bloodpressuredia
> ry
>

> Currently I need to figure if there is actually any technics or standards,
> or any set of rules (that is recognized or established) for translation of
> the applications.

Here is a "word list" generally followed by the Danish free software
translation community:

http://www.klid.dk/dansk/ordlister/ordliste.html

And here is an add-on/specification to that list specifically for KDE
translation:

http://websvn.kde.org/trunk/l10n-support/da/ordliste.txt?revision=1054605&view=markup

Those are not really official standards or scientifically based, but they are the
results of discussions between many smart free software contributors over more
than a decade.

I guess much of general communication theory applies to software translations
as well. E.g. consider the target audience of the specific application, keep
the abstraction level as low as possible, be short and precise etc.