List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: Qestion regarding the translation of the app into another language...
From:       "Yuri Chornoivan" <yurchor () ukr ! net>
Date:       2014-05-22 5:24:43

написане Thu, 22 May 2014 00:32:01 +0300, Ana Kris <3airchild@gmail.com>:

> Hey KDE people,
>
> You have been recomended to me by my Danish friend, who has known you
> for a
> while now.
>
> I am graduating in a month and currently writing a final thesis.
> So my task was to translate an OpenSource application into Danish (from
> Russian). Please see here what's the application about:
> https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.fruct.yar.bloodpressurediary
>

> Currently I need to figure if there is actually any technics or
> standards,
> or any set of rules (that is recognized or established) for translation
> of
> the applications. What I mean is that I personally based the translation
> from one language to another based on my own experience and literacy both
> within health and IT. However, I wonder, if there is any scientific
> material on it. Or even if you don't know that, I would like you to share
> your experiences associated with translation of applications. How did you
> manage it, what guided you when you translated it? Did you keep an end
> user
> in mind or did you focus on the precise translation, which in another
> language could look "heavier"?  I believe the way we translate does
> influence the way the end user percieves the product.
> What I am looking for is to find some experiences and research or advice
> on
> it.
>
> Thank you in advance,
> Anastasia K.

Hi,

This application uses Pootle web server for translations [1].
Comprehensive documentation on the server can be found on its site [2].
Generally, Pootle allows you to concentrate on the translation only
regardless to the format of the source files.

The rules for translation are usually very generic because of different
approaches and workflows. There were studies aiming to create general POV
[3] but they are not very influential and now seems lost/forgotten. :(

The studies on CAT tools can be easily found by Google but everybody has
his/her own preferences so some of these studies can be a bit biased or
commercially driven.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,
Yuri