List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: Translations for Mimetyps e.g. in kdelibs/xml_mimetypes not working?
From:       Albert Astals Cid <aacid () kde ! org>
Date:       2014-02-13 19:52:14

El Dijous, 13 de febrer de 2014, a les 10:50:17, Burkhard Lück va escriure:
> Am Sonntag, 22. Dezember 2013, 15:32:46 schrieb Albert Astals Cid:
> > El Diumenge, 22 de desembre de 2013, a les 15:26:35, Burkhard Lück va
> >
> > escriure:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > Commit log for kde.xml Revision 644191 says:
> > > <quote>
> > > Remove old-style .desktop files, and turn them into a kde.xml file
> > > [snip]
> > > During make install, update-mime-database is run to process kde.xml
> > > </quote>
> > >
> > > But apparently this does not work properly,
> > >
> > > Looking at the shared-mime-info-1.2 tarball I found a file HACKING which
> > > says: <quote>
> > > Releasing
> > > ---------
> > > - Run "make update-translations" and "make check-translations" before
> > > release </quote>
> > >
> > > This apparently generates the file freedesktop.org.xml and add all
> > > translations from the po folders for a mime type definition e.g.:
> > > <mime-info
> > > xmlns="http://www.freedesktop.org/standards/shared-mime-info">
> > >
> > >   <mime-type type="application/andrew-inset">
> > >
> > >     <comment>ATK inset</comment>
> > >     <comment xml:lang="ar">شكل ATK</comment>
> > >
> > > [snip]
> > >
> > >     <acronym>ATK</acronym>
> > >     <expanded-acronym>Andrew Toolkit</expanded-acronym>
> > >     <generic-icon name="x-office-document"/>
> > >     <glob pattern="*.ez"/>
> > >
> > >   </mime-type>
> > >
> > > The last step is apparently missing in kde or am I completely wrong
> > > here?
> >
> > Yes it has never worked.
>
> Attached a python script to fill a file like kde.xml with the our
> translations
>
> Tested with kde.xml  in kdelibs and geo.xml in marble, where message
> extraction works.
>
> At the top of the script is comment with a list of all mimetype xml files
> known to me and their extraction status.
>
> The script needs a python module to get the msgstr for a given msgid from a
> po file. So far I have used my own python module checkutils4, but the
> script could use any other module (pology? or a python library from
> distribution) able to return a msgstr from a po file.
>
> To include the script into scripty's workflow and make it fully functional,
> it needs some tweaking (works for now only for kde main modules, not for
> extragear + playground, does not overwrite the original xml file etc), but
> that should not be difficult.

Good work :-)

Making it integrated in scripty should be a priority, things i see missing:
 * Need to hook it up to places where XmlMessages.h exists
 * Need to find the proper place of the souce file using get_pahs stuff
 * Need to commit the changed file

> Using this script should make our translations usable at least with packages
> installed from distribution, does anyone know how this works for self
> compiled apps/modules?

Why do you think there is a difference in compiling yourself vs compiling in
distro?

Cheers,
 Albert