List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: Translation Methods comparsion
From:       Dashamir Hoxha <dashohoxha () gmail ! com>
Date:       2013-04-02 16:10:20

I can only agree with what Chusslove has written.
It is important to make a good analysis of the problem,
before trying to solve it.

I also think that the proposal of Kevin for uploading
external translations as review requests is the only way
that it can work properly, if some web-based translation
systems are going to be used. It can be improved a little
bit if "uploading" is done kind of automatically, on the
click of a button (from the web-based tool).

Also, one thing that can be considered is not using
the line diff tools (which usually give meaningless results),
but using pology to generate ediff (extended/embedded diffs,
whatever it means) which are usually meaningful for the
PO files.

Dashamir

On Tue, Apr 2, 2013 at 5:30 PM, Chusslove Illich <caslav.ilic@gmx.net> wrot=
e:
> Regarding the general idea of translatewiki.net-based translation workflo=
> for KDE, as expressed here:
>
>   https://translatewiki.net/wiki/Translating:KDE#Akademy_submission:_A_we=
b-based_translation_platform_for_KDE

> [...]
> translation systems, so translators now have to deal with varying online
> tools. Finally, it is said "if you wish, just export to PO, translate
> offline, then import back". This means that for that translator, the web-
> based system reduces to translation hub only, and a very inefficient one
> compared to a VCS.
>
> I will now directly address Niklas' motivation points on the above page:
>
>> I've seen the various file formats
>
> Quantitatively, I don't think this is significant for free software. When=
> non-PO format is offered by the programmer, the best reply is "please swi=
tch
> to PO: it is the most supported format by free tools, as well as the most
> capable format on its own."
>
>> emailing files around
>
> It is easier to send by email than to upload. The idea here is that while=
 it
> is harder to upload, it will be less of a burden to integrate, which mean=
> more translations being made. This, however, still awaits the quantitativ=
> proof.
>
>> digging version control history to find changes
>
> There are two elements here. One is finding the particular version of a
> message, or listing different past versions, and another is having a prop=
er
> diff. Both these functions are poorly supported by line-based VCS, and th=
> solution is to use a PO-aware tool atop of a VCS. There is no implication
> that this tool must be part of a bigger monolithic program, and much less
> that it must be web-based.
>
>> read the source code to understand the context
>
> For real quality translation, this is, and probably will always be,
> necessary. What can be done, is to equip the translation editor with good
> automatic source reference resolving and display. Again, there is no
> implication of a web-based tool here.
>
>> proofread translations on a mailing list
>
> (Didn't understand this, unless part of the following.)
>
>> and waited months for my translations to end up in the product because o=
>> busy translation managers.
>
> The most review time is taken by -- review. Not by copying the file from
> whatever communication channel, not by opening it in editor, not by
> committing it. This is probably why I have been hearing the same complain=
> in context of web based tools ("I did it in Launchpad months ago, but noo=
ne
> approved it yet").
>
> It is true that the review process could be made more efficient. But, in =
my
> opinion, the usual approach to this ("the approver") is conceptually the
> same regardless of the tool, and that is the main problem in an environme=
nt
> with fluid contributor time.
>
> --
> Chusslove Illich (=D0=A7=D0=B0=D1=81=D0=BB=D0=B0=D0=B2 =D0=98=D0=BB=D0=B8=
=D1=9B)