List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: Translation Methods comparsion
From:       "Federico Leva (Nemo)" <nemowiki () gmail ! com>
Date:       2013-04-01 8:31:32

Leon Feng, 01/04/2013 04:43:
> Ok, maybe I overestimate the work need to be done. Question:
> 1. Who will handle the sync && merge between Translatewiki and KDE
> repo. How often ?

Who: someone in translatewiki.net staff. How often: you decide, usually
every week or so; MediaWiki is updated every day because localisation
updates go live on Wikimedia projects within 24/48 hours (Raymond, the
maintainer, says it takes about 15 min per export of all the ~300
languages).

> 2. If a po on both side are updated. Which one will translatewiki take?
> Hint: Take KDE repo one, the translatewiki user will be angry that
> their work is lost. vice versa. Launchpad has a third "upstream" flag
> to handle it. AFAIK, translatewiki lack the same ability.

I've already answered this. As for the flag, translations can be marked
as in need of update/checking.

Federico Leva (Nemo), 22/03/2013 19:10:

<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:Extension:Translate/Off-line_translation>.

<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:Extension:Translate/Group_management>
 > (stub but no real need to care, translatewiki.net staff does it).

And your last point:

> Other than merely discussion, let us get the work done. If anyone
> setup what ever  system, I am glad to try out and give feedback.

Sure, trying is the only way to fully understand; and Niklas wants to
start some pilots in the first place (if there's some interest). Can you
discuss this with your language team and write on
https://translatewiki.net/wiki/Translating:KDE if you're available for a
pilot?
You can also subscribe and try translation of other software, it takes
just a few minutes: https://translatewiki.net/wiki/Special:FirstSteps

Sankarshan Mukhopadhyay, 01/04/2013 05:49:
 > On Mon, Apr 1, 2013 at 8:13 AM, Leon Feng <rainofchaos@gmail.com> wrote:
 >> 1. Who will handle the sync && merge between Translatewiki and KDE
 >> repo. How often ?
 >> 2. If a po on both side are updated. Which one will translatewiki take?
 >
 > I'm hoping that the TranslateWiki.net folks would be able to answer
 > both queries.

So able that I had already answered 10 days ago. :D

 > On a related note, the first one would probably require
 > a small group (ie. more than one) person with appropriate privileges
 > to keep an eye out on any errors in the automated sync-merge. It
 > should be transparent to the users of the systems.

No. Translatewiki.net is designed so that translators mustn't worry
about such technicalities and anything but translation.
Each language team can decide to always prefer translations from one or
the other side, or to rely on all translators switching to
translatewiki.net (given that no language will land there without
language team agreement anyway), or to import conflicting translations
in the VCS as "fuzzy" messages in need of check by any translator
directly on the wiki... but nothing will ever require wizardry on
translators' side.
(However, I hope KDE teams would reach an agreement on the option to
follow because I'm not so sure of the "each language" above,  ;-) and
I'm not sure how the fuzzy on import currently works in detail.)

Nemo