List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: Translating KDE with Translatewiki
From:       "Federico Leva (Nemo)" <nemowiki () gmail ! com>
Date:       2013-03-22 18:10:58

Hello everyone!
Thanks Dashamir for your experience. I'm trying to understand more on
B-Translator.
	When I read  «Also it is language centric [...] rather than project
centric » I misread it as criticism against translatewiki.net... glad you
like that. But most workflows on translatewiki.net are agnostic, you can
work per project or per language.
	As for your proposal "Integration with the existing workflow of the
project translations", translatewiki.net satisfies all those
requirements, as far as I can see. We don't have suggestions and votes
on multiple translations (yet), it's (still) a standard wiki model with
a single last version for each "topic"; however we have "votes" on the
last revision for each translation, see
<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:Extension:Translate/Quality_assurance>.
A language team who chose to use translatewiki.net could even
hypothetically focus on using it to collect "votes" for current
translations (of course not a good idea if there are multiple
feedback/voting systems for that language).
	On "However this merge is a bit difficult": it's not with
translatewiki.net. The system takes care of all merge and commit
activity in the translators' stead. Even if for some reason someone
commits translations directly to the CVS – instead of submitting the
files from offline translation via translatewiki.net as possible and
recommended[1] –, conflicts are handled by the person responsible for
the exports with Translate's scripts.[2] Again, as Niklas said, each
language team would decide to join translatewiki.net individually, and
while doing so could even decide to automatically get any conflicting
translation thrown in the trashbin when coming from it (not nice, but
possible).
	I hope this helps; sorry if I missed your points... bridging online and
offline translation communities is complicate because it's so hard to
understand each other. :) That's why Niklas announced his upcoming
presentation 4 months earlier, to collect more information in the
meanwhile and prepare a more complete proposal that will allow a
constructive discussion at Akademy and will hopefully provide some
language teams with something they'll like and find useful enough to
adopt it.

Federico aka Nemo

[1]
<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:Extension:Translate/Off-line_translation>.
[2]
<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:Extension:Translate/Group_management>
(stub but no real need to care, translatewiki.net staff does it).