List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: Translating KDE with Translatewiki
From:       Dashamir Hoxha <dashohoxha () gmail ! com>
Date:       2013-03-20 10:55:14

Hi,

I started to use translatewiki a few years ago (about 2 years ago),
but I stopped
very soon, because they expected me to help translating the existing projects
(that they had uploaded), and wouldn't allow me to upload the projects
that I wanted
to translate. Anyway I have no bad feelings about it.

After that I started developing my own online translation system, B-Translator
(https://github.com/dashohoxha/B-Translator). Actually its focus is
about getting
feedback from users for the existing translations, rather than
translating directly.
Also it is language centric (for example Albanian translations of all projects),
rather than project centric (all translations of KDE). For example see this site
about Albanian translations: https://l10n.org.al

Anyway, I have given some thought to the problem of mixing offline tools and
online tools on a single workflow. Initially I didn't understand why KDE would
discourage using Launchpad for translations, but later I understood that it is
difficult to merge these translations with the desktop+svn translations.

For online translation tools to be useful, they have to provide easy
import/export
of PO files, and they should integrate somehow to the svn/git backbone,
by merging translations that are done online to the translations that are done
offline. However this merge is a bit difficult and cannot be done automatically,
without human intervention. The best way, in my opinion, is to do the merge
with Localize, where the translator can also check the quality of the
translations
coming from the online tool, and resolve any possible conflicts.

This link has more details about how an integrated translation workflow should
work (according to my understanding):
https://github.com/dashohoxha/B-Translator/blob/master/docs/README.org#the-processworkflow-for-an-integrated-translation
 Probably translatewiki can find some ideas from B-Translator useful.

Regards,
Dashamir