List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: Translating KDE with Translatewiki
From:       Luigi Toscano <luigi.toscano () tiscali ! it>
Date:       2013-03-16 19:29:16

Anne Wilson wrote:
> On 16/03/13 16:41, Albert Astals Cid wrote:
>
>>> I don't appreciate that people work on an i18n solution without
>>> discussing it with the list.
>
> The Translate extension that was mentioned is a wiki extension.  You
> and I spoke 2 (or is it 3?) years ago about that fact that to be
> useful in your eyes for anything more than the wikis, it would have to
> be necessary to be able to export messages without using a web
> browser.  At that time I obtained information about the API and
> pointed you to it.  You said you didn't have time to look at it at
> that time, and I have heard nothing since.  It is therefore not
> unreasonable to believe that you have no interest in its development.
From another point of view, we could say that it is not unreasonable to
believe that he had really no time for that. I think that in this case a ping
on this list could have helped, at least to reduce the bus factor and gather
more information.

>> , but if there is an interest in knowing whether the extension can
>> be valuable to you, why not pop in to #kde-www and talk about it?
>
>>> And you are discussing translations in #kde-www instead of
>>> #kde-i18n because?
>
> Because it is a wiki extension, and we are concerned with wiki
> translations.  If someone wants detailed information about how it
> works, people who can give that information are usually available on
> the channel.  If someone does require such information and finds it
> potentially useful, then it would be sensible to bring it to the
> attention of the i18n team.

I don't agree with this: its existence has a real impact on the work of
translation teams, so this list is also a place which should be considered
when some changes like this are in the queue. We are stakeholders too for this.

Please see my email in this thread where I outlined the issues that the
current situation had brought and the proposal on what's missing to solve it
(i.e. integration of the workflow with the current one, stable exporting of
translations to svn for teams to allow teams to wants to opt-out from the
usage of wiki for translations to do it).

Ciao
--
Luigi