List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: Translating KDE with Translatewiki
From:       Burkhard =?ISO-8859-1?Q?L=FCck?= <lueck () hube-lueck ! de>
Date:       2013-03-16 20:26:44

Am Samstag, 16. März 2013, 12:33:52 schrieb Anne Wilson:

> You do know, of course, that the Translate extension does allow for
> offline translation, using Lokalize or similar, then importing the
> translations?

Afaik the translation extension exports only po files, but not templates (pot
files).
From my pov this is a broken design. I need a translation template to merge it
offline with existing translations (po files) to work offline.

> I don't appreciate Albert's tone in his reply, but if there is an
> interest in knowing whether the extension can be valuable to you, why
> not pop in to #kde-www and talk about it?

Hmm, I don't see what is wrong with Alberts reply.

This announcement about translating kde gui with Translatewiki feels strange
to me similar to the announcements about gui translation via rosetta/irma +
and launchpad years ago (and both miserable failed btw.).

kde-i18n-doc *is* the list for hundreds of translators working hard
translating the kde gui + documentation and managing scripty.
Discussions about translation workflow/concepts/tools should happen here, not
on a irc channel.

Before developing an online/wiki translation extension for kde gui+docs some
basics need to be discussed *here*:

* the concept and workflow online/offline

* how to sync online/offline translation?
There should be only one source of translations used/shipped with kde.

* which teams want to use a wiki translation and what are there needs to deal
with them. Note: Afaik most (all?) teams on launchpad do not use the kde gui
translation in launchpad, because kde is translated here and they simply could
not handle/deal/proofread with the kde gui translation suggestions in
lauchpad.

<german translators hat on>

* nothing beats specialized offline translation tools like Localize/Pology/etc
and scripty's workflow in terms of translation efficiency and quality

* in translation consistency is the only thing that *really* matters.
A goal really hard to achieve, even in a team using default translations, a
glossary and style rules, how should this be done by someone stepping once by
chance into german translation via a wiki/web interface online?

* judging from translations provided by people stepping into the de team
mailinglist just once and saying they know our default translations and german
translation style rules I would simply ignore any translation via wiki/online
from them as a waste of my time.

</german translators hat on>

--
Burkhard Lück