List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: Non text resources l10n
From:       Chusslove Illich <caslav.ilic () gmx ! net>
Date:       2013-01-29 14:10:26

> [: mvillarino :]
> - For non-text resources:
>   ~/Translation/KDE/trunk/l10n-kde4/xx/data/extragear/accesibility/softwarepiece
>   # replace a11y for whatever other module
>   ~/Translation/KDE/trunk/l10n-kde4/xx/data/kdesomething/softwarepiece
>   # same as above

A note here for extragear: only the data of software pieces for which its
maintainer has arranged to pull localizations from trunk/l10n-kde4/xx/data/
(e.g. when making a release) can be treated like this. Counter-example:
KMyMoney, where localized splash screens are kept in its own repository.

> a) How to check out "original counterparts to localized resources" ?

In effect, this means that one should have all source repositories from
which releases are made (trunk and stable) checked out locally, and in
expected paths. I wrote the Techbase article while only Subversion was in
picture, but even then I never had this really under control -- too much
manual maintenance was necessary.

I have now committed the script l10n-kde4/scripts/populate_source.sh, which
uses parts of Scripty to check out and update all source repositories and
arrange some convenient links (explained in script's header). I have also
made some additions to l10n-support/scripts/lbundle-check.py to make proper
use of the former. I will soon update the Techbase article, and in the
meantime you could check if populate_source.sh works for you too (it should
pull down ~10 GiB in trunk, and ~6 GiB in stable).

> c) And a list of resources wich have an original counterpart but no
> localized one ? (to the relevant language)

There are two distinct cases here.

The first case is where almost no resources need localization, so there is
no way to have such a list automatically assembled. In principle, you spot a
resource you want to localize, you add it, and then it gets tracked. This is
the case that holds for almost everything that you would put in <lang>/data/.

The second case is where almost all resources need localization. This is the
case with documentation, where non-text resources are primarily screenshots.
The Techbase article describes how to engage tracking of screenshots in
documentation, so that when a new screenshot appears it gets automatically
spotted and added to tracking. (But this section in the article needs
updating too, to make use of populate_documentation.sh script's results.)

> b) Once they are checked out. How can I get a thorough list of resources
> whose original counterpart is newer than the localized one?

By checking all l10n-track files for 'fuzzy' and 'obsolete' markers after
lbundle-check.py has been run (obsolete means the original no longer
exist -- maybe it was deleted, maybe it was moved). For example:

  $ cd <branch>/l10n-kde4
  $ lbundle-check.py <lang>
  $ find <lang> -iname l10n-track | xargs grep '^fuzzy\|^obsolete' >list.out

--
Chusslove Illich (Часлав Илић)