List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: Date format in libtemplateparser.po
From:       Chusslove Illich <caslav.ilic () gmx ! net>
Date:       2012-03-30 8:21:13

> [: Dimitrios Glentadakis :]
> So, could be a solution to use the 'KLocale::LongName Possessive' for the
> languages that they use the possessive form for months ?

The problem is that the string is not fixed but user-modifiable, that you
only translate the default variant of it. So, the PO message:

  msgid "On %1 %2 you wrote..."

produces the translated equivalent of

  On %ODATE %OTIMELONG you wrote...

which in my language needs genitive of date. But this string is exposed to
the user, who might change it to the equivalent of

  (%ODATE %OTIMELONG) You wrote...

which in my language needs the nominative of date. (In KMail 1.4.x, this is
reached through Configure KMail -> Composer -> Standard Templates -> Reply
to Sender.)

The question then is how to enable the user to select one of possible
grammar forms (the particular set of which is language-dependent), how to
explain this to the user, how to represent this as a PO message for the
default string, or more generally how (and where) the translator should
define various possible forms. And the counter-question is whether this
trouble is worth the result.

--
Chusslove Illich (Часлав Илић)