List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Kate/KWrite DocBook split
From:       "T.C. Hollingsworth" <tchollingsworth () gmail ! com>
Date:       2011-11-17 8:07:18

Hello awesome KDE translators!

I recently committed an overhaul to Kate and KWrite's docbooks.
KWrite has been split into seperate docbooks for each chapter, and two
docbook files from Kate are now pulled in by KWrite.

The configuration chapter used to be kept in sync between Kate &
KWrite manually by copy & paste.  The shared portions of the two
manuals are now kept in one file, pulled in by both Kate & KWrite:
kate.git/doc/kate/configuring-part.docbook.  That material was taken
from kate/configuring.docbook, so those translations can be reused.

kate/part.docbook is also now pulled in by KWrite.  That file has
always existed in Kate though, so that shouldn't be an issue.

Because I thought it was confusing to have part of KWrite split off
into other .docbook files while others were in the monolithic
kwrite/index.docbook, each of KWrite's chapters have been split into
their own docbook files.  All material in kwrite/*.docbook existed
previously in kwrite/index.docbook, so those translations can be
reused as well.

Finally, these docbooks are the first to use translatable entities
[1].  Yuri tested a complete cycle with the KWrite docs, so they
should work just fine.  In Kate & KWrite, an &i18n-powermode; entity
is used to indicate a feature is only used in power user mode in
KWrite, while this entity is a no-op in Kate because it has no such
mode.

I was originally worried that these changes would be difficult for
translators, but Burkhard and Yuri assured me that Lokalize was
smarter than I thought it was.  Still, if there's anything I can do to
make this easier, don't hesitate to let me know.

Thanks,
T.C.

[1] http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-i18n-doc&m=121213508303372&w=2