List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: [RFC] Clean up the language docbooks
From:       Burkhard =?utf-8?q?L=C3=BCck?= <lueck () hube-lueck ! de>
Date:       2010-08-17 15:29:51

Am Dienstag, 17. August 2010, um 14:35:12 schrieb Chusslove Illich:
> > [: Burkhard Lück :]
> >
> >   $ python l10n-support/scripts/checkobsolete.py
> >
> >   Usage:  python path/to/checkobsolete.py lang path/to/10n-kde4/
> >
> >   Output: print obsolete (moved/removed/renamed)
> >   messages/docmessages/docbook to stdout
> >
> >           lang = language subdir in l10n-kde4
> >           use lang = all to check all languages
>
> This one works for me as explained.
>
> >   $ python l10n-support/scripts/checkoutdateddocbooks.py
> >
> >   Usage:  python path/to/checkoutdateddocbooks.py path/to/10n-kde4/
> >
> >   Output: print all index.docbooks with date != date in uk index.docbook
> >   to stdout
>
> This one is weird :) I've modified the date normalization to be just a bit
> more robust (to work for me), but in general one may expect false
> positives. It's an interesting problem, I wouldn't know off-hand how to
> check up-to- dateness in a better way.

Problem is the date format used in en + language docbooks:

"2002-02-13" -> the default format which should be used to ease scripting

And now the weird ones:

"2004-11-8"
"4 March 1996"
"March 18, 2005"
None
"&docupdate;"
22/05/2009"
"23. 11. 2009." <period at the end!>
"24.02.2006"

and maybe even some more I don't catch with the script because en and language
docbooks are in sync, both with an additional unknown weird date format.

Most of these weird formats are wrong in the english docbooks as well or are
extracted to docmessages.po's due to wrong markup, part of them are already
fixed in en docbooks.
So e.g. a date="&docupdate;" in a language documentation tells me, it is a
slightly but still valid documentation of a game.

I have started to fix these weird formats in the sources - the english
docbooks.

Therefore they will disappear over time also in the translated docbooks.

And as the script only reports language docbooks with dates different from the
reference date, I won't strive to write a date normalization for all possible
weird formats.

As long as the script does not bail out and the major part of the date formats
can be normalized and are readable, than it is already usable for me.

> > What is better - a slightly outdated (but in general still valid)
> > translated documentation or an up to date english documentation?
>
> I think the best would be if always the latest translated version would be
> shown, but conspicuously indicated if the English version is newer.

Any idea how to do this?

I'd be more than happy to find a devel who enables khelpcenter to display the
documentation in another language than KDE_LANG...

> (The best-best would be if additionally it could be stated how much out of
> date the translated version is compared to English version, but this is not
> trivial to define or implement.)

This even depends on the typical user of an application. E.g. the update of
Kleopatra is more an extended documentation with a few fixes to the old
content. But only because I believe that Kleopatra's user are more experienced
and able to understand english, I have removed our old translation.

If the same would happen for an application like dolphin, I'd probably keep
the old translated docbooks.

--
Burkhard Lück