List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: [RFC] Clean up the language docbooks
From:       Chusslove Illich <caslav.ilic () gmx ! net>
Date:       2010-08-17 12:35:12

> [: Burkhard Lück :]
>   $ python l10n-support/scripts/checkobsolete.py
>
>   Usage:  python path/to/checkobsolete.py lang path/to/10n-kde4/
>
>   Output: print obsolete (moved/removed/renamed) messages/docmessages/docbook to
>   stdout
>           lang = language subdir in l10n-kde4
>           use lang = all to check all languages

This one works for me as explained.

>   $ python l10n-support/scripts/checkoutdateddocbooks.py
>
>   Usage:  python path/to/checkoutdateddocbooks.py path/to/10n-kde4/
>
>   Output: print all index.docbooks with date != date in uk index.docbook to
>   stdout

This one is weird :) I've modified the date normalization to be just a bit
more robust (to work for me), but in general one may expect false positives.
It's an interesting problem, I wouldn't know off-hand how to check up-to-
dateness in a better way.

> What is better - a slightly outdated (but in general still valid)
> translated documentation or an up to date english documentation?

I think the best would be if always the latest translated version would be
shown, but conspicuously indicated if the English version is newer.

(The best-best would be if additionally it could be stated how much out of
date the translated version is compared to English version, but this is not
trivial to define or implement.)

--
Chusslove Illich (Часлав Илић)
Serbian KDE translation team