List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: Removing "Translators" in l10n.kde.org
From:       "Yuri Chornoivan" <yurchor () ukr ! net>
Date:       2010-03-05 11:58:56

написане Fri, 05 Mar 2010 10:52:28 +0200, Sveinn í Felli <sveinki@nett.is>:

>> As it seems from Timelord reports, Kubuntu won't remove KDE translation
>> from LP or "Help translate this application" from menu. If someone want
>> to translate, they either use Google and find LP on first positions or
>> use "Help translate this application" item. In both cases LP (except
>> from hidden wiki) does not give any hint about upstream.
>
> Well, this has been added recently:
> <https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Translations/Upstream>, it's up to each
> language team in LP to make a link to it. Sure it's "hidden" by the fact
> that the term "upstream" does not necessarily have any meaning for a
> novice wannabe-translator...

Nobody touched KDE pages since David have created them. Pages are
outdated. Ubuntu packages contain obsolete files. Example:

libknminternals
libknmservice
libknmui
You can easily find other...

Why should people suffer from this? If Canonical wants to have its own
KDE, it is absolutely legal! But nobody from KDE teams have to translate
their KDE, as nobody have to translate Trinity KDE 3.

> LP (ubuntu) has also made mandatory for the language teams to maintain a
> "Translation Guidelines" page, and it's getting difficult to translate
> some projects on LP without adhesion to a language team. So it seems
> they're making some effort.

I will believe in this right after the first LP team will be banned for
not having maintanable guidelines, not participating in ubuntu-translators
ML, and not cooperating with upstream.

"It is of no sense to make treaties with Canonical. They say one thing and
do the other."

It is not my words. It is the words of Russian GNOME translator. They
promise him every release that Inkscape, Scribus and Fontforge translation
templates will be removed and break their word in the next day.

>> Can something like "Please do not translate in LP. It's downstream, your
>> translations will not be used in any distribution except Ubuntu-based
>> ones and will be silently overwritten if someone change them in KDE
>> repository even in Ubuntu-based distributions." be added on the page?
>>
>> And where can I submit team mailing list address?
>>
>> BTW can I update how-to when current changes on docbook autogeneration
>> and other translation-related things will be in place?
>>
>> Thanks in advance.
>> Yuri
>
> This former page, http://l10n.kde.org/team-infos.php?teamcode=xx, is not
> directly editable by each language team, right?

No. But if will be automatic removal of the section, it will be reasonable
to make the other things automatic too.

Best regards,
Yuri