List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: Documentation backport to 4.1.4
From:       Frederik Schwarzer <schwarzerf () gmail ! com>
Date:       2008-10-31 10:24:59

On Friday 31 October 2008 10:19:50 Luciano Montanaro wrote:

Hi,

> But is it really worth it? KDE 4.2 is two months away. I'd rather
> concentrate on making sure next release translation is as good as
> possible.

If you translate the backports, you actually polish the trunk docs.
If you are done you can copy your stable stuff to trunk and are
already half the way through.

> That said, if it's for the documentation only, that makes little
> difference -- if they are typos, they will not appear in the
> translation, and the old translation will be perfectly valid.

Yes, fixing typos is no gain for the translations. But for gettext it
makes no difference if it is just a typo or a changed meaning.
That's why the diff feature of lokalize is so neat in combination
with the --previous option of msgmerge. :)
With kbabel we always had to check the whole string to be still valid,
because it was not clear what exactly changed.
Now it is way easier to get rid of 600 fuzzies of which 80 percent are
typos in the original. :)

I will not state my opinion explicitly since the german team had enough
voices here already. :)

Regards