List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: Adept 3 translation
From:       Sébastien_Renard <Sebastien.Renard () digitalfox ! org>
Date:       2008-10-24 14:58:23

Le vendredi 24 octobre 2008, Vít Pelčák a écrit  :
> I do believe, that web interface would help. Not that it would be only
> option, but additional.
>
> Why? It would help with collaboration. Button "translate this app"
> could be put into any KDE app and would point to KDE web interface
> regardless distribution. Anyone could translate and then admins would
> approve or repair.

I did not though it could launch such discussion when I asked how to translate
adept...

Well, for this specific point, I don't think web translation is a good thing.
At least from a quality and consistence point of view. After 7 years of
active KDE translation, I think our translation workflow can be enhanced in
many ways but does not need a translation web interface. Not at all.

What is hard to do is not translation (lots of language manage to 100%
translate KDE on time).

However, quality and consistence are very hard to achieve. In the french team,
we use lots of tools (thanks Pology) and energy (glossary, cross proof
reading etc.) to be as much consistent as possible and make lots of
proofreading. And it's a real hard work.

When a new translator came in, he needs to understand team choices to be
efficiant. He is efficient after some time and help/support from other
translators.

Translation workflow does not target people who translate one sentence and go
out. We need longstanding translators to keep up the good work.

It is very similar to the development process. We need stable people that know
the job.
One can help for specific needs with bug report of proof reading, like a
developper can submit a patch without go deep into the application. But this
specific need does not requiere a full feature web translation system that
would produce much more noise that good things.

This is a very recurrent discussion...
--
Sébastien - French l10n team coordinator