List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: Adept 3 translation
From:       Karl Ove Hufthammer <karl () huftis ! org>
Date:       2008-10-24 14:51:35

Vít Pelčák:

> Anybody could translate, but only few could approve (those, who
> already have svn access for committing anyway). And if approving, you
> still don't have to use only proposed translations but can type your
> own.
>
> That will make quality at least as high as it is now or even higher as
> also people who have better knowledge will have easier access to the
> translation process.

I can say that at least for Norwegian, it would not. By the time taken to
log in to the Web site, find the new suggestions, accept/reject them
(probably reject, since the person creating the suggestion likely had not
read our linguistic guidelines, or the rest of the translations in the
file / in KDE), I could perhaps have translated 20–30 strings using
Lokalize. So in effect the Norwegian translation would be *less* complete,
i.e., of lower quality.

Such ‘drive-by-translations' are of no use to us whatsoever.

And really, how hard is actually to start translating use real tools, such
as Lokalize? You just type

svn co SVN-URI
lokalize [and open the file/project you want to translate]
Learn to use ‘Page Up' and ‘Page Down'

Even getting an account on Launchpad takes longer time than checking out via
SVN and learning to use Lokalize. And it's much faster and easier to use
than a Web-based interface. Even finding the file and string you want to
translate in Launchpad is so difficult (I'm still not sure how I would go
about doing it, and I have tried using Launchpad several times) and
time-consuming that it's just not worth it.

What *could* by useful for us, BTW, is a ‘report translation error' feature,
either in KDE (as discussed on this list before), or Web-based.

--
Karl Ove Hufthammer