List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Tooltips in KDE 4.2
From:       Diego Iastrubni <elcuco () kde ! org>
Date:       2008-09-21 19:02:36

Hi all,

While testing some Qt application I found a bidi-related bug in Qt4, and I
submited it to the trolls. They fixed it, but they also told me something I
was not aware of.

In Qt3, tooltips had to be written using this notation "<qt>some text</qt>".
In Qt4, this is no longer needed, but it's still used widly in KDE4. They
told that Qt4 treats different text put in <qt> or <html> tags: when putting
text inside those tags the text direction will not follow the widgets
text-direction, but will always by LTR, and this will mess up RTL
environments.

This is not documented for Qt 4.4.x, and will be documented for 4.5. I need to
test if this really effects KDE 4.2 on Qt-copy. If it does, the trick is
simple: remove all <qt> tags from "kde" and then try to find which <html>
tags are really needed. I can do this myself (a simple sed would do the work
no?) and commit this weekend, but I need to be sure that it will not harm too
much, as this will create a lot of fuzzies for a lot of teams.

Please let me hear your opinion.

- diego