List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: lokalize GSoC application
From:       mvillarino <mvillarino () gmail ! com>
Date:       2008-03-24 12:24:50

O Luns, 24 de Marzo de 2008, Chusslove Illich escribiu:
>anything about XLIFF support would fall
> into the line of not-so-useful features.
Not so sure.

> Diff display when old originals are available in POs is
> one such, especially when it comes to translations with a lot of long
> strings, like docs.

Yes, this is a must-have. I find this old msgids very usefull to save time
trying to guess what has changed in tooltips, whatsthis and long texts in
general.

> Thus, right now it seems to me that an important part of Lokalize's
> deployment would be thinking (or inquiring) about translator's workflow
> practices as they are, and then describing how they can be supported by
> Lokalize, hopefully more efficiently.

I agree, but to what extend does po format support workflow information? It's
quite poor, just translated, untranslated and fuzzy, no "official" way,
though it can be accomplished via comments.

> * More language/languages for reference. Sometimes translators know more
>   than English, and can use those other languages' PO for reference (this
>   request pops up here and there, to the point that Gettext tools
> themselves have some features in this regard). It could be yet another
> msgstr pane, or a shortcut-activated popup something, since the user would
> probably refer to the other language only occasionally.

This looks what can be accomplished with the online dictionary tool in
l10n.kde page or at open-tran.eu. Particularly, a pane to query this site
would be intensively used by me.

--
Best regards