List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: kbabel in kde4
From:       Chusslove Illich <caslav.ilic () gmx ! net>
Date:       2007-08-14 15:47:54

> [: Nick Shaforostoff :]
> Instead, i will make filenames in the Context View links so that
> translator could navigate to source easily. [...]

This is a tricky thing, as there are many cases in which the source comments
do not provide unambiguous paths to location in the repository, and then
there are temporaries like rc.cpp which have different references (I
remember the problems already being mentioned before in concern with
KBabel...) I suspect some sort of action needs to be taken/enforced on the
repository level to have the code references which can always be followed.

Nevertheless, should you disentangle this :) two points:

* Usually the code is not present on translators' machines. I suppose, if
  the code reference is unambiguous, and if the code is not present on the
  machine, it would not be that hard to contact websvn.kde.org and deliver
  the code snippet (say 20 surrounding lines, with additional button "Show
  me the full file, dammit!")

* Although I don't think this can be solved on behalf of Kaider only, I
  think it is a waste if one translator looks into code and clarifies the
  context for himself, and noone else benefits from that. Contacting the
  programmer/whoever about it is certainly valiant, but is just hard :) I'd
  like if the translator could write sth. like "context-suggestion" right
  there to the message, after which it diffuses without any other
  translator's action. I'd say Kaider could put this suggestion as a special
  comment into PO file, which would then be picked up by Scripty in the
  repository after the PO is commited, and then... well, not there yet :)

--
Chusslove Illich (Часлав Илић)
Serbian KDE translation team