List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: amarok 1.4.7 - string freeze
From:       Spiros Georgaras <sng () hellug ! gr>
Date:       2007-08-04 17:20:36

On Saturday 04 August 2007 Harald Sitter wrote:
> Sent the mail with a wrong mail account, so it got stuck in the approval
> system....
>
> Amarok 1.4.7 (translation in stable)
> branches/stable/l10n/de/messages/extragear-multimedia/amarok.po for
> example, entered today string freeze.
>
> Tagging is scheduled for 19 UTC on Monday.

The message freeze period must be at least 10 days long

> We also tought about making the UI more consistent in matters of
> translation. In fact we are considering to remove translations which are
> lower than average. For 1.4.6
> http://aplg.kollide.net/amarok/l10n/amarok-1.4.6.html
> that would be < 77% translated.

I don't think there should be such a limit at all
Since a translation team has passed the limit defined by kde, I think all
translations should be included in released packages. Consider the situation
where each application would set its own limit:
	amarok 77%
	k3b 85%
	kopete 95%
	foo 99.9%
(random list of applications...)

Who would be able to follow this?

> Npw, I'd like to know your opinion on this,
> since it might be your work that cuts off, but we actually think it might
> be worse to use a half way translated application (since it's confusing)
> than a translation which is not localisized at all (one has to speak little
> english in both cases), also it looks awful to have a half translated GUI.
>
> So, what do you think about this?

Confusion can be caused even if you have one untranslated message, especially
when similar messages, or messages referring to the same feature are
translated, or due to inconsistent translation (it happens when more than one
person translates an app)...

The bottom line is that you, as a developer should not have to worry about the
quality of the translations. You are not responsible for it, and you are not
to blame if it's crap. And don't forget, the user can always run amarok (or
any other app) in english

--
Kind regards
Spiros