List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: MO files not optimised enough (esp. en_GB, en_CA, etc) in KDE
From:       Chusslove Illich <caslav.ilic () gmx ! net>
Date:       2007-07-23 16:49:29

> [: Simos Xenitellis :]
> There is an issue in gettext-tools regarding an optimisation [...]
> Translation teams often copy the msgid string to msgstr [...] There is an
> effort to get "msgfmt" automatically to ignore those copied messages [...]

(Hi Simos, not sure if you've seen my short reply on bug-gnu-utils, here it
is again.)

Wouldn't this have adverse affect to the language fallback mechanism? For
example, if the user has set $LANGUAGE to lang1:lang2, and lang1 PO had
given message same as original, while lang2 had it different, under the no-
inclusion rule the user would get lang2 string, which is wrong.

--
Chusslove Illich (Часлав Илић)
Serbian KDE translation team