List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: KBabel / Kaider
From:       "Malcolm Hunter" <malcolm.hunter () gmx ! co ! uk>
Date:       2007-06-20 23:20:38

On Wed, June 20, 2007 9:25 pm, Krzysztof Lichota wrote:
> Thomas Reitelbach napisaƂ(a):
>> I wonder if there is a better GUI-implementation for plural forms
>> instead of
>> tabs?! Does anyone have any idea?
>> The current solution in KBabel is not very convenient, will KAider use
>> simple
>> tabs as well or do you have a better solution in mind?
>
> I liked the state of things in KDE3 - all plural forms were in one
> window, so I could see them all at once, check consistency of forms,
> copy one to another, etc.
> I think it should be similar in KDE4 - maybe split the msgstr view into
> 3 (or whatever number of plural forms the language has) horizontal panes?

I agree. I prefer the old implementation, but then I don't have the
complications that other translators have. I have a couple of suggestions:

1. Allow the translator to select tabs or old style view in the
configuration (or maybe even allow on-the-fly switching between the two).

2. With tabs: synchronise the tabs, so when the msgstr tab is selected,
the relevant msgid tab is selected. Also, use the same navigation keys to
move between tabs as are used to move between messages, so they behave
like separate messages.

Regards,
Malcolm
--
Web Development, Technical Copy-Editing & Proofreading

KDE Proofreading Team
KDE British English Translation Team

http://l10n.kde.org/team-infos.php?teamcode=en_GB