List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: How to prevent the flag "#, qt-format"?
From:       Chusslove Illich <caslav.ilic () gmx ! net>
Date:       2007-06-20 22:55:28

> [: Thomas Reitelbach :]
> All these messages are marked as #, qt-format and removing the flag
> resolves the error.

This is a "known problem" with msgfmt. It treats qt-format plural strings in
a bit dumb way: if it sees certain placeholders in msgid_plural, say %1, it
wants to have it in every msgstr[]. Even in the msgstr[] which is valid only
for case n=1, and in which therefore sometime the number is omitted. It
treats c-format strings differently, it has some heuristic to allow this
special behaviour (leave out %1) for n=1 msgstr[].

So, it is gettext which should be fixed upstream, or better said updated to
contemporary qt-format specifications. I did write an email to Translation
Project list:

http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?thread_name=200704191556.02537.caslav.ilic%40gmx.net&forum_name=translation-i18n

hoping that the maintainer will do something about it, buthing nothing came
out yet. It is on my list of important things to try to fix myself,
eventually.

In the meantime, just don't use -c option to msgfmt.

--
Chusslove Illich (Часлав Илић)
Serbian KDE translation team