List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: Semantic tags for i18n, official proposal
From:       Chusslove Illich <caslav.ilic () gmx ! net>
Date:       2007-06-20 12:35:58

>> [: Yukiko Bando :]
>> [...] I think it's the opposite. The more information, the easier. I
>> assume most people know what is checkbox, radiobutton, combobox, tooltip,
>> etc. etc., so nothing new to learn. :)

> [: Arnold Krille :]
> Really? Ask your wife/girlfriend/mom/anyone without higher computer
> knowledge what the difference between a radiobutton, a checkbox and a
> combobox is and you will see that most (all) of these have no clue. [...]

My head is splitting :) And regarding the longish list of graphical context,
I too considered it problematic only for programmers, didn't even think
about what Arnold is saying, that it may be also harder on translators.

On the top of it, I myself no longer favor even @tooltip or @whatsthis, but
would rather have them @info, as in the original proposal.

So... we continue the exhausting point-by-point compromise? Perhaps, but I
have an addenum in mind that may allow us all to have the cake and eat it :)
But it requires more coherent presentation and some soothing, so I'll
rewrite the parts of the Techbase article, and report here when I do so.

--
Chusslove Illich (Часлав Илић)
Serbian KDE translation team