List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: Semantic tags for i18n, official proposal
From:       Thomas Reitelbach <tr () erdfunkstelle ! de>
Date:       2007-06-20 11:25:16

On Mittwoch, 20. Juni 2007, Sveinn í Felli (IMAP) wrote:
> Thomas Reitelbach wrote:
> > If the goal was to give us a really precise view,
> > then I would propose a completely different solution (a graphic solution,
> > where a translator would really _see_ the context of every single message
> > in a dummy GUI or something like that).
>
> Why a 'dummy' GUI ?
> Possibly we should predict a 'Translate this program...'
> button in every future KDE app, which opens a KBabel-ish
> plug-in with translation database support, saving to .po
> file and even straight to .mo (for testing); to be executed
> in the 'live' application itself ?

This is a completely different thread, let's not start a discussion about it
here or open a new thread. (In short: I had basically the same idea about 3
years ago and talked to some programmers and usability people at linuxtag
karlsruhe about it. In practice it simply won't work because we have to
translate software that has not been released at time of translation.)

> But anyway; the basic set of semantic tags proposed by
> Chusslove is at least a good start, less is more in my
> opinion. Future expansion must be taken into account though.

Yes, this is exactly what i was talking about: less is more :-)

Cheers
Thomas