List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: Rosetta for Edgy and KDE [Was: Rosetta for Kubuntu Dapper and KDE]
From:       Vedran Ljubovic <vedran-liste () smartnet ! ba>
Date:       2006-07-12 8:14:51

Hello,

Thanks for responding.

On Tuesday 11 July 2006 22:10, Jonathan Riddell wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 11, 2006 at 08:14:55PM +0200, Vedran Ljubovic wrote:
> > The thing is, Canonical (makers of Ubuntu) don't care the least bit about
> > that! They are working to improve their distro and don't care what
> > happens to other distros / upstream.
>
> We care very much about upstream.

It is nice to hear that you are interested in helping us, at least in
principle.

> You are free and infact encouraged to take translations from Rosetta
> and import them into KDE.

You make it sound like something trivial. Unless there are some shortcuts that
I couldn't see, this involves:
- visit launchpad every day to see what's new, swallow some Ubuntu propaganda
in the process
- wade through the list of translated files that doesn't appear to be sorted
in any meaningful way, mixing files from KDE, GNOME and Ubuntu (latter two
obviously don't interest me)
- export each file so that it gets sent to my email
- make a diff to my local repository and investigate every single string to
see what exactly was done, because there is no way to be sure that Rosetta
translations are more complete from what I have
- for every useful string, make a copypaste to KBabel window

Now imagine doing that for 5-6 major distributions. Also add that I personally
maintain translations for a few projects except KDE.

Jonathan, you seem to see only the best case where a translator works on
previously untranslated file on Rosetta and immediately pings the maintainer
to import it into svn.kde.org. How about the worst case scenario? When a very
large file, like kstars.po, gets *partially* translated on Rosetta and
*partially* translated on svn.kde.org at the same time only in different
parts? You honestly expect me to Kompare the 700+ kB files with 5000+ strings
and copypaste relevant strings into KBabel? It's easier to just translate the
file again.

And yes, that kind of thing happened to us.

> > (Yes, our team was harmed by Rosetta as well)
>
> Could you give some details of this?

You can see in Launchpad logs, if there is such a thing. Some 3-4 young
translators decided to work using Rosetta and translated a bunch of files. I
asked them several times not to do that but they wouldn't listen. Then I
showed them files that were already translated some months ago... needless to
say they were furious. Now I'm trying to get them into translation the proper
way but they're just not interested anymore.

For a small team like Bosnian that is a huge loss.

Now I might not have the best people skills, but it's no wonder that people
get disenchanted with the whole FOSS translation process when things like
that happen! Rosetta harmed bs team directly by creating discord among team
members and driving them away from translation as a whole.

--
Bosnian l10n Team
http://l10n.linux.org.ba