List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: Rosetta for Edgy and KDE [Was: Rosetta for Kubuntu Dapper and KDE]
From:       Vedran Ljubovic <vedran-liste () smartnet ! ba>
Date:       2006-07-12 8:28:58

On Wednesday 12 July 2006 09:05, Donatas G. wrote:
> I think that is an important question, and Rosetta would do well to give
> us a possibility to export just the new, Rosetta-improved translations
> (or just the strings) somehow for the KDE translators to use (use as
> compendiums, merge into the upstream, etc.). Would that be possible
> technically? Like providing compendiums of changed strings and scripts
> that would help the heads of the national translation teams to merge the
> translations upstream or at least offer those as a choice for
> translators of the programs?

In my case that wouldn't help because my (our) problem with Rosetta is this:
Rosetta includes files from a certain KDE release e.g. 3.5.2. The work
continues on svn.kde.org but it is not made available to Rosetta translators.
Also, I would like to avoid having 5 different people working on the same
file because that leads to inconsistent translations.

What I suggest is a relatively small improvement to Launchpad:
- have "project owners" and "file owners"
- no file can be translated without the file owner "releasing" the file for
translation by someone else
- project owner owns all untranslated files
- when Ubuntu imports files from upstream, last translator automatically
becomes file owner

This would make it the responsibility of Ubuntu l10n team leader to contact
upstream translators and have them release their files. If a file owner is
not responding, that can be fixed upstream.

--
Bosnian l10n Team
http://l10n.linux.org.ba