List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: Rosetta for Edgy and KDE [Was: Rosetta for Kubuntu Dapper and KDE]
From:       Tom Albers <tomalbers () kde ! nl>
Date:       2006-07-11 7:48:46

Op Tuesday 11 July 2006 05:50, schreef Sharuzzaman Ahmat Raslan:
> Jonathan Riddell wrote:
> > On Mon, Jul 10, 2006 at 11:50:44PM +0200, Albert Astals Cid wrote:
> >> All translators agree on that, it is just that Ubuntu people either:
> >> a) are not translators and do not understand it
> >> b) are obfuscated by the "Ubuntu rules" phenomenon
> >> c) want to make translations worse
> >
> > It is of course none of the above :)
> >
> >> So if i was not clear, YES we want more translators, NO we don't like
> >> how rosetta works at the moment.
> >
> > The purpose of Rosetta is because Ubuntu needs a way to let people
> > translate all the strings in all our programmes.  So far nothing else
> > achieves that.
> >
> > Jonathan
>
>  From what I have observed, Rosetta is bypassing the official
> translation team who manage and make sure translation is in high quality
> and consistent across different application. Official team also make
> sure the translation is committed upstream, so that not only Ubuntu can
> benefit, but other distro can also benefit from the translation as well.
>
> I see Rosetta as Ubuntu-only tools, to fulfill the need of Ubuntu, and
> disregarding others.
>
> Until Ubuntu is working together with official translation team, any
> translation only done in Ubuntu will be discarded and replaced when the
> official team  is committing their translation upstream. Ubuntu
> translator will be wasting their time and effort translating something
> that will not be included upstream.

Ok, I've listened to all comments, you all seem to be very protective of your
translations, which I think is good.

Let's go one step further; when rosetta holds a translation for KFooBar, which
is developed for KUbuntu and is moved to KDE's playground a bit later. Does
that mean you will ignore the rosetta translation which is available and
start translating from scratch?

When I did the dutch doc translation, I found the most fun job was to
proofread a translation made by someone else. I think Rosetta can provide a
basic translation, which you can bring up-to-kde-quality.

Only 9 translation teams are capable of translating more than 75% of the doc
translations. Only 14 teams have translated more than 25% of the doc
translations. Don't tell me you don't need any help you can get.

I'm not saying Rosetta is great and is the solution to all our problems in the
current state. But please be carefull not to emit such a negative signal that
the Rosetta people will ignore us in the future.

There are opertunities here. Maybe not in the current form, but maybe there
will be in the future.

Toma