List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: Rosetta for Edgy and KDE [Was: Rosetta for Kubuntu Dapper and KDE]
From:       mvillarino <mvillarino () gmail ! com>
Date:       2006-07-11 7:07:10

O Luns, 10 de Xullo de 2006 23:50, Albert Astals Cid escribiu:

> c) want to make translations worse
>
> So if i was not clear, YES we want more translators, NO we don't like how
> rosetta works at the moment.

Hi,
I don't agree with this.
No one want worst translations. Maybe a not experienced translator is more
error-prone, but this doesn't mean to be conscious. I'm not sure but all of
us have had no experience as translators sometime, aint?

Rossetta is not the way to go due mainly to three reasons: It's based on
proprietary software, it's distro-tied, and it doesn't hold the concept
of "translation owner". This being the worst.

However the idea of a web-based system for colaborative translation is good,
as the success of rosetta shows.

There are other projects which allows this, for instance Pootle, which also
allows to work offline (as is done now) and upload files.
At the present time, Debian is also working with Pootle for a future i18n
infrastructure for that OS. iirc, there is a student in the SoC working on
it.
Once this system is done, why not set it up within KDE to attract more
volunteers?

--
Best Regards
MV

Public key available at www.keyserver.net
GPG Fingerprint: 8116 899E 61FD D983 AF80 FEDE 1CD8 1C9A 4B81 73AE