List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: Rosetta for Edgy and KDE [Was: Rosetta for Kubuntu Dapper and KDE]
From:       Kim Enkovaara <embo () mpoli ! fi>
Date:       2006-07-11 6:40:50

> The purpose of Rosetta is because Ubuntu needs a way to let people
> translate all the strings in all our programmes.  So far nothing else
> achieves that.

And how are the translations merged to the upstream, so that the work done
is not lost when next version of the upstream translations is used.

The biggest problem with rosetta is the lost work. Some user who does not
know the translation process makes translations in Rosetta. They might be
there for few versions and then they are lost. And maybe someone else is
also doing the same translation already in upstream, the work was done two
times in that case. The thin resources could have been used much wiser.

Rosetta has to be much better tool to be really useful. It's not
responsibility of the KDE translation team leaders to hunt translation
patches from all distros that for their own purposes set up some
translation systems.

For example I don't have any idea if someone has made translations in
Rosetta for KDE. I hope not, because that work never gets to upsteam. And
hopefully upstream translations are always imported to rosetta, I have
heard that this is not always the case, and actually kubuntu translations
are much worse compared to the upstream. Forking the translations is not
very nice thing to do.

--Kim